Sunday, July 11, 2010



May 22, 2010
Moses led devotional this morning using Romans 1: 1 -6, where Paul is explaining how he is a servant of Jesus Christ. In order to be a true servant we must devote every day to the Lord. Very good devo :]

We drove about 2 hours to Alice and Bernard's orphanage/school called New Hope. There are 247 kids there. 48 are "full-time"/ "true" orphans. They welcomed us by singing songs. Every single one was completely adorable. Many lost their parents or entire family to HIV/Aids. I would say the ages ranged from around 3 to 15 years old. Mostly girls. They all just wanted to hold your hand and play with you. I had one girl who attached herself to me the entire time we were there. I think I love her already. :]








We walked around the facility to different classrooms and such. Than we drove to the 26 acres they are looking to buy. They will use the land to expand the facility but also for farm land so they can have their own food and hopefully bring in some income. Just last month they ran out of food but God provided through donations. Keith and Allison's church called The Lift is looking to adopt the orphanage for their world mission. We trekked around the 26 acres through the bush. It was ridiculously hot but super beautiful and made me want to go hiking, haha. Jen managed to slice up her leg pretty good. We plan on taking over-exaggerated photos later this evening to document her battle wounds.




On the drive back we same some more gorgeous landscape including some massive boulders we dubbed "Pride Rock", thank you Lion King. It was a very cool day which definitely further clarified my desire to do something in children's ministry.I really need to look into that for these next 2 semesters at Texas A&M.

We spent the night in Jinja at the same guest house we stayed in the first night in Uganda. It was really awesome to see how close our team has become after only 10 days. We ate at a restaurant called The Gateley. It was located right on Lake Vicotira. The scenery was breathtaking and the FOOOOODDDD was SOO GOOD! I had meat for the first time in like a week. I definitely was starting to feel ready to head home but I definitely love this team. Sleeping was pretty miserable without an A/C after being spoiled at The Rock Classic Hotel in Tororo. The car horns were none stop and than the Muslim call to prayer started around 5am. I cannot believe we head out tomorrow night. These 10 days have just flown by!


No comments:

Post a Comment