May 23, 2010
Tony led devotional this morning talking about how this trip should continually change out live. It should be more than just an event. We also talked about preparing ourselves for going home and going "back to normal". We all have been shown things we need to change but we can't expect it to happen all at once. But also we shouldn't just become "normal" again. I think it will be hard to not have that close community every morning and throughout the day.
After devo we waited around for quite awhile...Oh Ugandan time :] We went shopping in Jinja for a bit and than got on the bus for Kampala and Entebbe. Traffic was awful because the President of Uganda was visiting. We finally made it to Kampala and ATE PIZZA at Domino's. hahah! Nothing like an American Domino's but great none the less. I never thought I would miss greasy American food so much. We got back on the bus just to get stuck in more traffic. I started getting a little nervous about time but God got us through and to the airport in Entebbe in plenty of time. We wasted the time in traffic by taking pictures of all the ridiculous advertisements and buildings. While in the bus I was definitely feeling ready to be home.
Once we got to the airport we had to say bye to Jen. Super sad to see her go but she is staying 6 more weeks in Uganda!!! I'm so so so excited for her and cannot wait to hear all about it. She is going to be teaching! I can't even imagine what God has in store for her and the kids she is going to meet. We rushed through the airport and than waited. The first flight was easy. I slept on and off for the 8hour flight.
We arrive at Amsterdam around 5am local time. I am currently still waiting for my second flight scheduled to leave at 10:40am. We ate McDonald's at 6:30am...yes, as soon as they opened. I never thought I would find McD's so delicious.
Andrew and I said good-bye to Tony, Lisa, Keith, Allison, Josh and Jason at their gate. We than tried wasting a few hours but there isn't a lot to do in an airport. We explored the shops...played with some random computers, laughed at the overly sized candies bars and than went to Starbucks for coffee. Than I said good-bye to Andrew...headed to my gate, and here I sit.
I am not sure where to start on my reflections for the trip. It was definitely different than expected but God showed me a lot about myself and revealed even more of Himself to me. He's drawn me to a couple of verses this week -->Romans 5:8, John 3:30, 2 Corinthians 5:20-21, Ephesians 2:8 - 10 and a bunch of the Psalms. I've definitely been shown the importance of being in the Word every day but most of all I've learned that "IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT ME!!" For most of the week I was present but not active. God taught me to be persistent in prayer and that I don't always have to be in control. God uses us in ways that He needs even if they don't match our expectations. 500 souls were saved this week!!! That isn't something that can be done by my words of the words of the team or the nationals, God just uses us as tools. People kept asking for my favorite memory from the trip and honestly I cannot pick one moment. Every time a child grabbed hold of my hand my heart melted. Every profession of faith was just as joyful as the ones previous. Every tent at the survivor camp opened my eyes and humbled me. Every laugh with the team brought me out of my shell and grew me as a person. I can honestly say that I love every member of that team and thank God for the bonds that were formed in such a short time. I cannot even imagine what God has in store for 9 of us. I am definitely going to miss the daily community.
I'm not sure where God is going to take me but I know that I need to stay open to His pull. I still cannot believe how perfect this trip was in terms of time, and money. It definitely proves to me that this trip was God's plan all along and not my own. I do want to look into Doctors without Borders especially if I am still single in 4 years. God has shown me that I can do missions. And He's also put adoption on my heart...which I have always thought about.
I have missed my family and friends a lot though. I think that I will have a new appreciation for a lot of things I probably took for granted before this trip. I cannot wait to see my Dad. I have about 6hours left on this flight at least. I have an almost anxious feeling in my stomach but it's different than the one I had before I left. I was definitely scared. I still cannot believe I actually went through with it, especially without knowing anyone previously. I am hoping that I will be more bold with my faith. It's sad to say but I would be terrified to take an e-cube door-to-door in the states. Our country is supposed to be "Christian" but I know there are tons of people who desperately need Christ. I definitely have a lot to reflect on. I pray that i will not allow this trip to just be an event in my life but rather a step in my journey. Good-bye Uganda! I cannot believe it's over already. Good-byes are always so bittersweet...
No comments:
Post a Comment