Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 204

Thankful for hugs from patients who are being discharged, half days at work, stress relieving workouts, cooking and country music, and for the fact that God fills our joy by giving us Himself!

I've been reading "Desiring God" by John Piper and have really been challenged & convicted by the words he writes. Chapter 1 focuses on the happiness of God and the fact that "the chief end of God is to glorify God and enjoy Himself forever." It's hard to realize that this, in reality, is for our good because we are so used to disliking people who are self-absorbed and conceited but God is an "all glorious, totally self-sufficient Being" that must turn to Himself for joy otherwise He would imply that there is something or someone more valuable than the Creator! Where would we turn if our God turned to another source for completeness and joy? We would be so lost! Praise His name for being the greatest of greats, the Creator of the World, and the satisfaction of man's soul. He is worthy. He is better. And He is yearning for our praise because through praise we complete our enjoyment in the item of our affection, God the Father.

I am prayfully asking God to use this book to illuminate areas of my faith that I tend to doubt or be lazy in. I know that He is a good Dad. He loves me in a way that is indescribable, unattainable and unworthy. All I can do in return is lift my voice, raise my hands and lay my life at the foot of the cross as a living sacrifice and continual praise of The One who gave it all to know the soul of a wicked daughter like me.


**excerpts from "Desiring God" by John Piper with input from C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment