I may be asked to give my testimony which makes me a little nervous but I know God will work through me.
Our home/mother church is in a one room, mud hut. The children collect flowers to place in the walls and on the door. Worship is lead by a single drum and homemade shaker. Everyone dances, claps and sings along. They have two choirs - 1) Children Choir with 6 to 7 kids 2) Youth Choir with 3 young girls. The pastor spoke a short message than all pastors, elders, visitors, etc were introduced. Jason preached on John 4: 1 - 23 and did an awesome job. The evangecubes and hope cubes were explained, followed by more singing and prayer. I did not have to speak today and I have mixed emotions about that. I am relieved because I didn't have to get up in front of a group but kind of disappointed because I had amped myself up to do just that. After the service, the mother church's pastor (in photo with Jason) invited us to stay for lunch. I felt bad because we didn't eat any of it for fear of becoming sick.The kids were curious as usual and huddled up next to the van as we were preparing to leave. They would get as close to us as they could without actually touching us or getting in the van.
I have been meaning to write down more of my "observations" so here are a few. The women in Uganda hold very traditional roles - child-care, cooking, etc. There are no women pastors but they are still active in the church - women's ministry, evangelism, etc. It is very hard to go from living in a country where independent women are so prominent to a country where women are not treated as equals. I liked that the children were and integral part of the service. And I loved how worship just made you feel so alive. The people in our village speak Swahili and Sabine. Translating between English and Swahili was a bit bumpy this morning but it was a good trial run for tomorrow. Most of the congregation spoke some English so the translations didn't have to be perfect.
After spending time with our church we headed back to the hotel. I took a power nap before an early dinner. I have been meaning to write down some of their traditional foods - plantains, milton bread (looks like brown/gray bread dough), rice, etc. After dinner we all sat outside and talked about our days. Than went inside to practice the HOPE cubes.
I may have an opportunity to do children's ministry while Jason does cell group with the adults. We will see what happens tomorrow. I am already seeing how God works using His own plan and not ours.
I already feel so comfortable with our group which is a true blessing. I cannot believe we have only known each other for 3 days. God is awesome!
No comments:
Post a Comment