Monday, April 8, 2013

Day 98

Thankful for long hugs from Dad, discharges from the hospital, uneventful drives home, road trip playlists, bestie dramatic group hugs, The Voice, and 7 day detox plans.

I am back in Dallas for the time being. Incredibly thankful that Dad was able to be discharged today. Chest tube was taken out this morning and then he went to my brother's around 4pm. He'll stay there tonight and if he doesn't have any problems him and Mom will head home to Rockport tomorrow. Beyond thankful for all of the prayers for quick recovery. Dad looks great. Continued prayers for clear biopsies.

I never thought I'd be able to say that I'm a pro at navigating MD Anderson, which is quite a feat. That place is a city within itself. It's a blessing and a curse. A blessing because the doctors and staff are incredible and the treatments are top of the line. I have never been so impressed by a medical facility and am definitely intrigued by the idea of working in such an establishment. A curse because my Dad has cancer and it's still a hospital. You can go crazy inside those walls. Today I just soaked in the greatness of the place and marveled at the sheer number of people running in and out, both patients and staff. Lots of kiddos were out and about today and while my Dad's situation is heartbreaking the idea of a 6 year old with cancer is beyond that. This one kiddo was sitting outside soaking up some sun with his family. I made eye contact with him (which I never want to stare but kid was ADORABLE) and he said "hey-ya!" and gave a big wave. I couldn't stop the enormous smile that I shot back and I wish that I would have gone over and talked to him. It was in that moment that I realized a couple things: 1] Yes, things right now are dark but there is so much light all around me 2] I need to come to God with an absolute child-like faith and 3] I have been blessed with health and abundance my whole life so even through this rough time I should be exploding with thankfulness, unable to contain my gratitude for God's mercy and goodness towards me. I pray that God would break down the walls around my heart and allow me to be completely consumed by His unequivocal love for me. I pray that I would yearn for time with my Abba. And I pray for healing. I pray for miracles at MD Anderson. I pray for  The Light to illuminate in the shadows. I pray for the families, the staff members and the medical teams. I pray for a revolution of prayer within and surrounding that facility. I pray that lives would be changed by and through one name, Jesus Christ. And that through it all, His glory would be abundant and clear.


No comments:

Post a Comment